The spiritual atmosphere at Joliet Catholic Academy is what sets it apart from other area high schools. In support of JCA’s mission, four years of religious studies are required and a comprehensive spiritual life program is provided by a vibrant Campus Ministry department.
Campus Ministry implements programs that contribute to the spiritual welfare of the entire JCA community in developing a Roman Catholic environment that fosters a deep, personal relationship with God and Jesus Christ through the charisms of the Carmelites and Franciscans.
JCA offers students a variety of ministries and formative programs to enrich their faith and character development.
Campus Ministry Office Staff
- Daily Mass is offered Monday and Wednesday at 7:15 a.m. in the small chapel. All are welcome!
- Prayer services are offered Friday at 7:15 a.m. in the small chapel. All are welcome!
- Students are given the opportunity to receive the Sacrament of Reconciliation during the holy seasons of Advent and Lent. Students wishing to celebrate the sacrament at other times during the school year should contact the Campus Ministry Office. Reconciliation also will be offered as part of some retreat experiences.
- The chapel is open throughout the day.
- All-school Masses are held on Holy Days of Obligation and other special days, such as the Feasts of the Little Flower and Saint Francis.
- Freshmen, sophomores and juniors are required to participate in an annual day of renewal.
- Kairos will be offered to students during their senior year.
- As a requirement for graduation, students must participate in one of the following during their senior year: 1. Kairos retreat; 2. An overnight retreat experience through a parish youth group or through the Diocese of Joliet. Please note that permission for this option must be procured in advance from a Campus Minister and verified in writing by the agency conducting the retreat.
- Campus Ministers welcome the chance to reflect upon the Christian life and all of its aspects with students, faculty and staff.
- Issues of relationships, faith responsibilities, family, the JCA community, friendships and self always may be discussed with a Campus Minister.
- For a prayer request, please submit a Prayer Request form to the Campus Ministry department. Download a form by clicking here.
- Please feel free to contact the Campus Ministry department regarding illness or death in the immediate family of a student, faculty member or staff member. We would be happy to make hospital visits.
MEET OUR FACULTY
Fr. Jeffery Smialek, O.Carm. holds a Bachelor of Arts from the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign, a Post-Degree Certificate from Pima Community College, Secondary Teacher Certification, a Master of Arts from Chicago State University, a Master of Divinity from Washington Theological Union, and a Master in Education from DePaul University. Fr. Jeffery Smialek holds an Illinois Secondary Teacher Certification in History and an Illinois General School Administrator Certificate (Type 75).